The following links provide information about the generation of 'clean' electricity through solar, wind or other renewable generation sources. Projects less than 10kW are classified as microFIT, while larger ones are FIT (Feed-In Tariff) projects:
- Please visit the Independant Electricity System Operator (IESO) MicroFIT website at
http://www.ieso.ca/get-involved/microfit/news-overview for program information, to complete an on-line application form and to obtain a reference number.
- The OPA will issue you a conditional offer of contract if your project meets program
- Contact the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) at 1-877-ESA-SAFE to apply for an electrical inspection of your MicroFIT project or visit:
- Complete the MicroFIT service application form (MicroFIT Service Application Form) to request an impact and feasibility assessment. It must be delivered, faxed or emailed to:
Attention: Mr. Sean Pook
Grimsby Power Incorporated (GPI)
231 Roberts Road
Grimsby ON L3M 5N2
Tel: (905) 945-5437 ext 224
Fax: (905) 945-9933
Once the project has been approved and installed, please complete the account set-up application form, available with the following link: Customer Account Setup microFIT application form
- GPI will contact you by e-mail about your application and will provide you with a quote within 15 days if the application is in order. You will have 30 days to sign this quote and agree to all costs indicated. After 30 days, we assume you do not wish to connect and the application will be voided.
- Install your project.
- Obtain ESA authorization to connect and provide proof to GPI.
- Contact GPI. We will respond within 5 days about installing the metering and other
equipment as per estimate of costs.
- Please sign the GPI MicroFIT connection agreement. You can download the agreement but you will need to sign this at our office in person. Please note the amendment below.
- The following amendment applies to the MicroFIT Connection Agreement: If the generation customer 1) has a valid HST Business Number and 2) provides a copy of Canada Revenue Agency's document which identifies the Business Number assigned to you, Grimsby Power will apply HST to the payment for energy generated from the customers' generation facility. Grimsby Power is not responsible for any tax consequences resulting from the customer failing to inform Grimsby Power about changes in tax status.
- Apply for a generator account in person with Grimsby Power. The current monthly charge is $5.25 but is subject to change as directed by the Ontario Energy Board.
- Grimsby Power will contact the OPA and provide connection details.
- The OPA will offer a MicroFIT contract by e-mail. If you accept, you will be paid for your generation at the OPA contracted price by Grimsby Power.